SBIG STXME and STM not recognized by MAXIMDL and..

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by artem, Jun 3, 2015.

1. artem

artem Guest

Good evening from Vienna,

Though 2 weeks ago, both SBIG 10XME + ST8300M did work without any issues, today, and since the weather was suitable today ( after long time) I did decide to try my luck and take some shots of the sky.. BUT !! both ST10XME and ST8300M when plugged via USB and in the device driver I could see that " SBIG CCD WITH FIRMWARE" was available.. and despite..

MAXIM DL and SGP and CCDOPS did not find any Camera attached, and all my attampts did end up with errors.. that no CCD is attached...

The exact error shown on MAXIM DL was.. ERROR OPENING CAMERA, COULD NOT INITIALIZE CCD CAMERA (27), and when i try to connect or establish Link with CCDOPS, then the error "No camera could be found..." though SBIG USB Camera With Firmware" in Device Manager is shown..

Only when using CCDSOFT everything was working.. and I was able to take images..

I did though renew also by SBIG DRIVER CHECKER and did upload the latest drivers.. but all my attempts did end up, with the error that MAXIM DL and SGP and CCDOPS did not find the SBIG 10XME + ST8300M CCD Cameras, CCDSOFT still did..

The USB CABLE I use is the same i did use 2 weeks ago.. and the also the same LAPTOP..

I really do not understand, why so many unusual problems take place with this 2 CCD Cameras..

I hope you can give me a hint, how I can find where the problem is, and why MAXIM DL; SGP; CCDOPS can't find the 2 Cameras, and this means the SBIG camera driver cannot "talk to" the camera.. ?

Thank you

Martin

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2015
  2. artem

artem Guest

Good morning from Vienna,

I need to ask again, and point that the issue that both CCD are not recognized by SGP, MAXIM DL, CCDOPS persits..
    I did reinstall DRIVER CHECKER. When I plug the CCDG " ST10XME + ST8300M" into USB, this are recognized
    and in the device driver I can see that " SBIG CCD WITH FIRMWARE" is available.. ( see screen shots below )

Where else could be the problem ? that SGP, MAXIM DL, CCDOPS does not find any CCD ? and generate errors ?
    the cable I use is a short one..

Can someone from SBIG please answer ! is there any details I did miss to mention ?

I am attaching the screen shots from the error shown on MAXIM DL, CCDOPS; and screen shot from the windows device driver,
    version of the driver used by windows in device driver, and log file from SBIG DRIVER CHECKER captured from MAXIM DL and CCDOPS Error response
    upon trying to connect the ST8300M ( same issues are taking place with the ST 10XME CCD )

Thank you that someone from DIFFRACTION LIMITE COULD HAVE NO>te THAT I NEED HELP AND WAITING FOR ANSWER SINCE FEW DAYS:.

Martin

Attached Files:

3. artem

artem Guest

Attached you can find the LOG FILE from DRIVER CHECKER, that the same ST8300M, which does not work with SGP, MAXIM DL, CCDOPS
    worls with CCDSOFT !

Thank you

Martin

4. artem

artem Guest

Here is the file, did not work with 1st attempt

Attached Files:

• log.zip
      File size:
      234.4 KB
      Views:
  5. artem

artem Guest

Hi There,

Since no answer was given.. I did try all my knowledges I have and Voila.. suddenly it works "though not clear why suddenly ? " .. and SBIG ST8300M is recognized by
    MAXIM DL, and most important! than all other softwares, it works also with SEQUENCE GENERATOR PRO (SGP)... also..
    a great software.. this SGP ! and happy that my SBIG 8300M is recognized again by by MAxmil DL, SGP.. and else..

Martin

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2015
  6. Jim Feretich

Jim Feretich Standard User

Hello Martin,

I had a similar experience with my ST-10XME and my ST-7XME where they would not connect no matter what I tried and then, literally over night, the problem went away.

I'd like to know what happened. How did the problem fix itself?

Here's my details:

Problem:
    ST-10XME and ST-7XME no longer connect to CCDOps5, CCDSoft and TheSkyX Pro Camera add-on.

Background:
    Performing a tracking calibration with my ST-10XME and CFW-9 using CCDOps5, I accidently entered 180 second exposures. I tried to abort the calibration and ended up terminating CCDOps5 by using Windows Task Manager during the calibration. I haven't been able to connect to either camera with any software since (except PHDGuiding does connect and operate fine). The cameras are recognized the by Windows7 Device Manager and seem to load their firmware Ok (fan & LED turn on, connects to PHDGuiding).

Error popup messages:
    From CCDSoft: Receive Timeout Error code = 1008 (0x3f0).

Equipment:
    CCDOps5 Version5.55 Build 2 - NT
    ST-10XME, ST-7XME
    Sony Vaio laptop i7 CPU, 8GB; Win7 64-bit

What I tried on the Win7 laptop (not in the order in which I tried them):
    Connecting to my ST-7XME didn't work. (It hadn't been used in weeks.)
    Used several short and known good USB cables and ports.
    Removed and reloaded the SBIG drivers using SBIGDriverChecker64.
    Un-installed and reloaded the camera/driver using Windows Device Manager.
    Un-installed and re-installed CCDOpps and CCDSoft.
    Plugged the camera into my oldWinXP laptop that used to use for imaging then unplugged the USB and plugged into the Win7 laptop - still no connect.
    Shutdown and rebooted the Win7 laptop didn't solve the problem.

Cameras will connect when:
    Connected the cameras to older versions of CCDOpps and CCDSoft on my old WinXP laptop and the cameras worked fine.
    Loaded the camera firmware on the Win7 laptop and then unplug USB and plug into the WinXP laptop DID connect.
    I tried PHDGuiding (not PHDGuiding2, using the original version) with my ST7XME and it CAN connect and produce images.

I gave up for the day after looking for the registry for some clues. The next morning (today) I started to compose an email to SBIG technical support. I wanted to copy the error message from CCDOps to put in my email so I tried connecting the ST-10XME to CCDOps again and, as you said, Viola, it connected!

Hurray but whaaaaaa? How could it fix itself over night?

I don't think the problem was in the cameras because:
    1) The ST-7XME has been in storage for 2 months and only took it out to test if it would connect. I was using my ST-10XME when the problem occurred.
    2) Both of my cameras worked on my old laptop that had older versions of CCDOps and CCDSoft and 32-bit drivers.

I don't think the drivers or the camera bin files were corrupt because I had used SBIGDriverChecker64 to remove and replace them and that didn't solve to problem.
    It wasn't likely a problem with corrupt application software since 3 different applications would not connect. It had to be something all 3 applications had in common and could be the camera driver's DLL or a something running as a service storing persistent information in the registry or a data file.

Maybe there is some sort of "flag" set in the registry or a data file that gets cleared after some time expires.

Wish I knew. I wish someone from SBIG could explain it. It's going to happen again to me or you or somebody.

Jim Feretich
    Lemont, Illinois USA

7. artem

artem Guest

Hello Jim,

It is very nice of you to share your experiences with me ( I though it was only me having all the troubles with my 2 SBIG CCD's ), and whatever you write above, same did also happen to me, not only one time, but often.. exactly told, 2 days ago, same did AGAIN happen with my ST8300M, and my LAPTOP did not recognize the ST8300M, though it is the same LAPTOP I did use many times to connect both CCD since years..

And we had CLEAR SKY.. and again, i did save the clear sky, by using my STAR LIGHT XPRESS SXV M25C CCD, since by ST8300M did strike again !!

Anyway, I did decide to buy a new CCD ( ATIK 490EXM ) and not to use my ST8300M or ST10XME again.. since I really have a lots of troubles with this 2 CCD's, and one of the issues is, for repairing or a technical check, for one or both of this 2 CCD's!

I need to invest only for the TRANSPORTATION something like 300-450 USD.. I do not calculate the costs for any repair services.. and let us also not forget to mention the CUSTOMS ISSUES I need to take care of.. and the taxes i must pay ( Yes, I am living in EU :( )

Well, could also be ? that my both CCD's from SBIG are already OLD ?? i do not know.. BUT I do not want to waste valuable
    clear nights ( we have only few in our region ) with connection issues.. and will go for ATIK 490EXM !
    and keep my 2 SBIG CCD..

Someday, when I travel to USA for vacation ( I always travel to CALIFORNIA ) will take my 2 CCD and bring over to SBIG for a technical check..
    and then sell them, and stay with ATIK CCD or even MORAVIAN CCD or STARLIGHT XPRESS, all 3 are made in EUROPE and the repair services is around the corner ( 1-3 hours flight time ) and no borders and customs between the EU countries.. and the postal fees are reasonable!

Regards :)

Martin

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  8. artem

artem Guest

Hello Jim,

Yesterday again, I connect my ST10XME to my LAPTOP ( same LAPTOP, same USB CABLE ) SBIG DRIVER is the newest version..
    and for exactly 5-10 seconds after sarting MAXIL DL, the CCD was recognized as ST10 and INTERNAL GUIDER.. and then suddenly
    as I click on connect button, I get an error that no CCD was recognized and then having a look to the CCD connected in MAXIL DL,
    and the ST10 CCD reccognized before was changed to USB only.. and up from then it was useless to try to connect.. and again my OLD SXV M25C had to
    be used to save the clear sky night..

What is happening here ?? who can explain this ??

Thank you

Martin

PS! I did use my same laptop and same USB cables.. !!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
  9. artem

artem Guest

Hello Jim,

UPDATE !!

Today, and after I did update the SBIG DRIVERS ( due to this thread http://www.diffractionlimited.com/f...sbigudrv-version-4-89-build-1.1514/#post-7655 ).. and after I plug in the ST10XME and suddenly Windows recognized my SBIG 10XME and also MAXIM DL did recognize the CCD..

What an ironie..

Yesterday I bought the ATIK CCD since my 2 SBIG 10XME and ST8300M were not working.. and I also had intentions
    to send them to SBIG for repair service and spend few HUNDRED USD or EUR !

I somehow ( though can't proof it ) have doubts.. that the reason why my SBIG CCD are recognized by Windows, is the new driver from SBIG, which I did install today with the new version of SBIG DRIVER CHECKER, and updating the drivers to version "4.88 BUILD 11 " though they should be "4.89 build 1" according to latest SBIG
    thread http://www.diffractionlimited.com/f...sbigudrv-version-4-89-build-1.1514/#post-7655

What shall I do now with my ATIK ?? and what a waste of money & time & and efforts..

Martin

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015