re-animating SBIG ST-402 after operation in cold and fan issue

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Liviu Ivanescu, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Liviu Ivanescu

Liviu Ivanescu Standard User

Hi,

I have a very strange situation with the SBIG ST-402 camera. Since I’m operating such cameras all winter long in Canada, it happens that the camera becomes unresponsive (not possible to make a link anymore) once in a while. After replacing it and put it in a box for few months, many times it comes back to live miraculously. While operating, the cameras are usually insulated from cold, but the cold may still have an influence sometimes. In addition, sometimes, I found the fan to not move anymore. So, I suspect that the issue could be fan related, which is of this type (or very similar):
    http://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en?keywords=ME50101V1-000U-A99

Any idea please of an appropriate fan for the ST-402 which can better survive the cold? The price is not of a too much issue if that could avoid camera downtime. Other than fan replacement, any idea please if the camera can be re-animated somehow without waiting for months in a box ? For example, can that be done (or at least investigated to know exactly the problem) from inside the SBIG software or with any special piece of software that someone might have? Could it be that the cameras is unresponsive because of a static charge that may go away after long rest?

Many thanks!

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The fan is Sunon ME50101V1-000U-A99, available from http://digikey.com

That said, your camera being unresponsive has nothing to do with the fan. And no, there is no way a static charge could affect it. Cold isn't likely to cause these symptoms either.

It seems more likely that your power supply brick is not working correctly - that could explain both of your problems.