2024 Total Eclipse

Discussion in 'My Astrophotos' started by Colin Haig, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Anyone have success with the Eclipse?

From the north shore of Lake Erie, we had perfect skies until after mid eclipse when some thin cloud rolled in.
    Here's a few cropped, unprocessed shots for your enjoyment.

Moon covers a sunspot:
    ECLIPSE0.png
    Start of Totality:
    ECLIPSE2.png
    Corona:
    ECLIPSE3.png
    End of Totality:
    ECLIPSE4.png
    Diamond ring:
    ECLIPSE5.png
    Bigger Karat:
    ECLIPSE6.png

Tim Povlick likes this.
  2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I didn't really try to photograph the eclipse this time. I have some really good pictures from past eclipses, and given the marginal conditions decided not to try. I did see totality through thin clouds, so the corona was nothing to write home about, but the prominences were beautiful. I was glad that I just used an eyepiece in the small telescope I brought.

Well, okay, given that I had a whole 3:17 of totality I couldn't resist grabbing my DSLR for a few telephoto shots. I literally grabbed the camera, fired off quick shots while randomly turning the shutter speed dial, and then tossed it back in the camera bag. Most of them were either overexposed or underexposed. Here's the one that was not entirely terrible:

IMG-7701-proc.jpg

Gotta say the third contact diamond ring was really intensely spectacular this time. It appears that the sun shone through a lunar valley - there was just this tiny pinprick of light that got brighter and brighter without spreading along into beads.

Tim Povlick likes this.
  3. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

I didn't photograph it this time, I just enjoyed it visually.

Great shots guys.

4. Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick Cyanogen Customer

The Corona image and Doug's image are exceptional.

I took this image from SW UT-USA with 80mm scope, Herschel wedge and smartphone.

Attached Files:

Doug and Colin Haig like this.
  5. mike m benjamin

mike m benjamin Cyanogen Customer

I had great luck in Blackville NB, perfect conditions.

Attached Files:

Colin Haig and Tim Povlick like this.
  6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The totality images look spectacular. Maybe try adjusting the color balance though? The corona should be pure white, and the prominences pure red.

7. mike m benjamin

mike m benjamin Cyanogen Customer

I haven't figured that out Doug, I've tried. It's either all white or all color. I've seen a few others like you say but I think they have used a dslr while I used a mono planetary camera. I see your shot was with a dslr.

8. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

Here are a few images I managed to take from the TSP at Latham Springs Camp in Texas. This was my first total eclipse, and I didn't want to miss out on seeing it, so the photographs were just icing on the cake. We had a lot of passing clouds with just enough breaks to allow us to see the progress of the event.

The images are monochrome taken with a ST2000-XM camera through an Astro-Physics Stowaway with a Baader Solar Screen in front of the lens and a 540 nm solar continuum filter in the filter wheel of the camera. This combination was the only thing that allowed me to get any useable images during the partial phases. During totality, I used only a luminance filter. All exposures were 0.001 second.

I was only able to take the one image during totality.

Mike

Attached Files:

mike m benjamin and Tim Povlick like this.