SC4 and Maxim v6.4

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Martin Pugh, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

yes we can do that, but first, upload some video to demonstrate to me that the SC4/AOX combination can be calibrated with the SC4 binned 2x2 or 3x3. Then show me video of the AO working as it should be without the star jumping all over the place. After all, you must have tested this release right?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Uninstall/reinstall rarely helps.

Did you install the DL ASCOM drivers version 6.4.23 as well?

If you run DL Config Utility, and do Help... About, you should see:
    dlapi.dll version 2.8.0.0
    DLAPIWrapper.dll version 2.8.0.0
    ASCOM.DLImaging.Camera.dll version 6.4.23
    ASCOM.DLImaging.CameraExt.dll version 6.4.23
    ASCOM.DLImaging.FilterWheel.dll version 6.4.23

Like this:
    dlconfigabout.png
    Right?

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

4. Martin Pugh

ASCOM driver 6.4.23 has a problem in that I do not seem to be able to connect to the SC4 in other apps. But that is not the point here….I am working entirely inside Maxim DL

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What other apps specifically?
    Can you verify ASCOM Diagnostics - Connection test works?
    Did you go into the Properties and double click on the SC1300 in the list?

Have you got a crash dump yet?

6. Martin Pugh

Here are the results of trying to connect to the SC4 using the 6.4.23 ASCOM driver....this occurs in SkyX and PHD2 which means the driver does not work, and I have to revert to the previous version
    IMG_6096.jpg IMG_6092.jpg IMG_6094.jpg IMG_6095.jpg IMG_6096.jpg IMG_6092.jpg IMG_6094.jpg IMG_6095.jpg

7. Martin Pugh

Do you think you could make the previous drivers available somewhere on the website? Might be useful when customers like myself are faced with a failure and need to revert to the previous versions. Another thing you should note is that when the driver states that it is removing the previous version, it isnt. They are still listed as an installed app, but of course they do not register as being available when you try to select them in SkyX etc

8. Martin Pugh

Here are 2 more images for you.....the first shows the result of AO calibration before I exercised the AO, the second shows the result of AO calibration after I exercised the AO. As you can see there are significant differences in the first and 4th movement. I would like your views on this. IMG_6100.jpg IMG_6101.jpg

I also have video showing how calibration fails when trying to calibrate either the drive or the AO with the SC4 binned 2x2 or 1x1. The only way drive calibration works is with the SC4 unbinned. I am not so sure calibration is working on the AO given the above results.

I also have video that shows the star jumping wildly around as before when calibration has been done 1x1 but tracking 2x2.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, am looking into all this.

10. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Martin. This is a glitch in the setup dialog. To work around this until we can issue a fix, re-select the SC4 in the Cameras dropdown list. This will force a GUI reset and allow you to modify/save things.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  11. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

I've got a potential fix in validation. Do you need this in 32-bit or 64-bit?

12. Martin Pugh

Sorry Adam…I normally get notifications of posts in reply, but not this time. Are you referring to the ASCOM driver fix? If so I would need it to be 64bit as I use The SkyX.

But right now, the ASCOM fix is not a priority for me….I need to get the SC4/AOX working via Maxim DL

13. Martin Pugh