Error opening camera after driver update

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Albert J. Seargeant, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Albert J. Seargeant

Albert J. Seargeant Cyanogen Customer

I just started my STL-6303, SN 110394341, connected it via Maxim DL V 6.13, disconnected, shut down Maxim, opened the Driver Checker V4.02, Build 1 (64bit), updated sbudrv.dll to the following:

sbudrv.dll 4.96 Build 3 10-10-16

all the rest have 01-27-15 dates.

I closed the driver checker, opened maxim, tried to connect to the STL and got "Erroe opening camera in dual chip mode. Could not initialize CCD camera (1)" Turned off dual chip mode and got "Error opening camera>" Etc.

I cycled power on the camera, tried to re-update drivers (already up to date), restarted the computer (Win 7 Pro, 64-bit). None of it made any difference - still couldn't connect.

I tried CCDSoft and SGpro, same result.

Any ideas? Any way to roll back drivers?

Jim Seargeant

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

This is a problem for me as well.
    With STL-11000M.
    sbigudrv.dll 4.96 Build 3 10-10-16
    I think Jim had typo in the driver name - correct is on line above.

sbig101016.png
    Also, the error number I got is (27).
    errordualchip.png

I went back in and checked, it had parallel for camera, so I changed to USB, and it gives me the (1) like Jim.

Looks like new update broke old cameras.
    I've tried changing other options and no luck (e.g. has nothing to do with dual chip mode).

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Jim - here's an older version 05-29-16 attached. It may not be the best, but it should get you back up and running. It worked for me.
    It was in C:\windows\system on my machine.
    Good luck.
    Unzip after you download, and then copy it over the 10-10-16 version.

Attached Files:

4. Albert J. Seargeant

Thank you, Colin. That worked.

Jim Sgt

5. Larry Phillips

Larry Phillips Cyanogen Customer

Colin, to what folder does that get copied?

Larry

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Larry, is seems to go into the Windows\System directory.
    A fast way to find it, is look for the problematic one.
    For example:
    Open a command prompt (run cmd.exe)
    cd c:\windows
    dir sbigudrv.dll /s
    It will then show you all the instances of the sbigudrv.dll under your windows directory.
    If your machine is "non-standard" in terms of its configuration, it could be elsewhere.

Depending on which version of Windows you are on, it may try to prevent you from replacing -it will want administrator rights and approvals.
    This is not the best way to deal with the problem - we'll have to wait for the Diffraction team to get on this to fix properly.

7. Yves Laroche

Yves Laroche Standard User

Hi all,

I've found a workaround instead of having to roll-back to the latest working driver.

In pressing the Config Drv button within SBIGDriverChecker you will see that Asynchronous USB IO is unchecked. Please check the box and try connecting the camera...it should work for you.

Regards,
    Yves

artem likes this.
  8. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

I'm investigating — but for now, I would definitely advise turning "Asynchronous USB IO" on in the case of STL cameras (perhaps indefinitely) if it isn't already. STL's are one of the few cameras left that don't use the Asynchronous camera communication methods by default — I may need one of you (if you're able, and willing) to test some changes, since we don't have any cameras on hand that can test changes to that portion of the driver.

9. Larry Phillips

Larry Phillips Cyanogen Customer

I have an ST-10XME. Am I correct in assuming I would have the same problem as the STL?

Larry

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We'll check that. We do have an ST-2000XM here.

11. Yves Laroche

I can do some tests with my ST-10XME if required.

Yves
    Beta tester for Astro-Physics ASCOM driver and APCC.

12. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Repro'd with the ST-2000XM — working on a fix now.

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Adam - I have time to test later today, so if you have a fixed DLL you want to send my way, am willing to give it a shot.

14. Yves Laroche

Hi Adam,

I can test the new DLL if you need more volunteers. Will be at the observatory tonight. Thanks!

Yves

15. Albert J. Seargeant

And I can test with quick turnaround.

Jim Sgt

16. B. Gregory Mowatt

B. Gregory Mowatt Cyanogen Customer

Bingo! I will try to keep this succinct, but I want to get the details in. I am using a Dell Latitude 6530 laptop in my observatory. I have Maxim DL, SkyX and CCDOps software on the computer. Before the past week, or so, I had no issues connecting to either my STL11000 or my ST402ME SBIG cameras and had imaged from both without issues (other than still having so much to learn). The most recent time I got on the computer, I could no longer connect to either camera. I got variations on the "camera not found" message from the three software packages. I tried direct connection to the computer, switched out USB cables, etc. I had no issues connecting to the cameras on my Lenovo laptop, so I presumed it was an issue with my Dell laptop. I wrote a query on "General Forum" in a string entitled "Camera Not Found." Within a day or so, Tim Puckett directed me to this message string. I focused on the message from Yves Laroche, followed by the one from Adam Robichaud, regarding making a change to the SBIG Driver Checker current build configuration (I had been using the latest 4.96 Build 3). Within the past hour, I have opened the Driver Checker, clicked on the "Config Drv" tab at the bottom, and put a checkmark in the "Asynchronous USB IO" square at the top. That is all it took. I can now connect to my cameras with all three software packages. Why the connection stopped working all of a sudden is beyond me, but at least I have a fix for my set of circumstances. I have an STXL camera that is still packaged up and will try that one a little further down the road. Thanks to Tim, Yves and Adam...I should have started with this forum instead of Google! Regards.

Greg

17. Yves Laroche

You are welcome Greg!

When you get a chance, would you check if the problem occurs with your new STXL camera? Just curious !!! :)

Regards,
    Yves

18. Jennie

Jennie Cyanogen Customer

Thanks very much the Asynchronous USB IO checked, works! - Thank goodness for that

I too just updated SBIGDriver Checker before getting to work and had the same connection problem with my ST8XME to MaxIum

Yves Laroche likes this.
  19. Jennie

Jennie Cyanogen Customer

Hi Adam - will having Asynchronous USB IO checked cause any other problems with future updates?

20. B. Gregory Mowatt

B. Gregory Mowatt Cyanogen Customer

Yves: So, when you asked me the question about the STXL, I decided that was sufficient motivation to open it up and set it up. I bought it, along with the self-guiding filter wheel and a full complement of filters, back in late 2013. It has been in storage since that time, until I could get my observatory in decent working order - a long, long story. I figured an STL11000 would be just fine to practice on. In any event, I put the "new" camera together today, upgraded the firmware, installed the filter set, and then discovered that there was a wire that had broken off one of the internal connectors, so I had to solder that back in place. To make a long story a just a little longer, I tried it on both my Lenovo office work station and my Dell laptop in the observatory. Everything works just great, with easy connections via CCDOps, SkyX and Maxim DL. I should have pointed out in my earlier post that I have all of my cameras running through a 9-port HooToo powered hub. Please let me know if you any other questions. Thanks for the motivation and regards.

Greg